Dexter Middle School is a beautiful school located in a residential setting serving approximately 1315 students. Students are divided into teams, within grades, to ensure close relationships with their teachers and a common sense of purpose. Dexter’s API is 732; an impressive increase of 32 points in a single year! We are proud that Dexter has met our school-wide AYP’s for both Language Arts and Mathematics. Dexter will enjoy continued positive academic growth by maintaining current practices such as providing teacher training, department and team meetings, consistent parent communication, and intervention programs in class, after school and on Saturdays.
Dexter Special Programs:
- Parent involvement is an important part of our school program. We have an active School Site Council, English Learner Advisory Committee and P.T.A. In addition, parents can maintain direct communication with our faculty through voice mail, e-mail or by scheduling teacher group meetings through the counselors.
- Dexter hosts several Parent Nights as part of its Home/School series. For example, Family Algebra Night, Family Literacy Night, and Family Technology Night.
- Dexter is proud of its Mock Trial Teams, repeated Los Angeles County champions. All students are invited to try out for this award winning after school activity.
- The AVID program provides opportunities for students to prepare for college and lends to college bound culture.
- A major technology grant allows our English classes to use class sets of laptop computers to improve writing skills.
- Dexter has an outstanding Visual and Performing Arts program; which includes both instrumental music and chorus. Students of all skill levels, beginning to advanced, are invited to participate.
- Dexter offers students a wide range of Exploratory classes, such as computers, art, drama, woodshop, and yearbook production.
- Dexter’s Library, including an on-line computer center, is open daily before school, during lunch, and after school for student use.
- Dexter offers a comprehensive coed physical education program. Students have access to a state of the art Activity Room.
- Intervention and academic support classes are offered before and after school and on Saturday mornings.
- Dexter provides a Math intervention program.
- English Language Development is provided on a daily basis for all English Learners.
- In addition to having a school counselor for each grade level to help support students, Whittier Area Child Guidance offers individual counseling at school for qualified students.
- An ‘At Risk’ Counselor for all students is available.
- Dexter Associated Student Body (ASB) elects student officers annually. Students organize assemblies, after school dances and special events throughout the school year.
- Boys & Girls Club and Club Dexter offer a place for students to go after school, from 2:35 to 6:00 p.m. Activities include after school homework assistance, games, outdoor activities and electronic games.
- The Honors Program at Dexter is very active; one highlight is the annual Honors Open House where students participate in the Wax Museum.
We look forward to serving our students as they achieve success through a student-centered approach emphasizing quality, unity and integrity.